Sunday, November 2, 2008

Independence Pass


From Aspen we tackled the highest paved road in the US - Independence Pass 12,095ft.  We had stunning weather and it had been this way for about a week - I would not have attempted it in less than fine weather.  We had no idea what to expect other than we had been told it was spectacular - take it slow and steady was our only advice.

The road is excellent - we travelled Aspen to the eastern side.  There were remnants of snow and ice in patches closer to the top, but not too dangerous.  It was not until we got to the single lane section  with vertical drops both sides that I felt the pit of my stomach drop and the adrenaline ran through my legs.  Too late now unless I wanted to do a 40 point turn.  Onwards and upwards - at one point I exclaimed (almost shrieked) "I can see a car up there" - oh my goodness.  I saw a lot of amazing snow covered mountains, but mostly I saw two parallel yellow lines in the middle of the road as I was not game to take my eyes from it as we travelled on up at 20mph.

We made it to the top of Independence Pass and I was pumped - you could see forever.  The Pass was built to access the mining town of Independence, close to the top and was first established in the late 1800's.  The drive down was much less hair-raising and I was able to enjoy most of the beautiful scenery.  Colorado has so many interesting places to see.


No comments: