Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Amtrak Grand Junction to Winter Park

This is one section of the trip I have been feaful of, mostly because I knew it was going to be a big job to get Joy and the luggage onto a train from a station where there is no platform as is the case in the US.  It was a little easier than I had expected, thanks to the help given by a wonderful conductor called John.  US trains are often double stories which I was unaware of and since Joy could not really get up the steps we took a seat in a really nice downstairs section where nobody else was sitting, and prayed that we were going to where we wanted to go.

It turned out that this was a special disabled section, not really open on this trip as it required the purchase of a special ticket.  However, the train was under loaded and we stayed there anyway and the journey was fantastic.  I am not sure I will do it again but I got out of it exactly what I wanted - a chance to follow the Colorado the whole way to Winter Park through Glenwood Canyon and in particular remote Gore Canyon.  The cottonwoods and aspens were golden and the river twisted and forged its way in the opposite direction to us.  Many people were using the river in float boats fishing, rafting and fly fishing all along.  I felt we were following further, the history of this mighty river and its inhabitants as each little ranch or town or settlement seemed to tell a different story and purpose for being.  Five and a half hours later we stopped at Winter Park and into the arms of the anxiously awaited Martins - Katy, Chris and Matilda.  A spectacular sight for me!

No comments: